Live virtual conference: “Accessing Higher Ground”
All SU faculty and staff are invited to the virtual version of “Accessing Higher Ground,” a live, web-based conference focused on Accessible Media, Web and Technology, presented by the Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD). The 18th annual conference will be held Monday – Friday, November 16 – 20, 2015 and will be hosted in several locations on the SU campus.
Registration is free; please register at http://its.syr.edu/aheadreg by November 11 if you plan to attend any sessions.
Accessing Higher Ground (AHG) focuses on the implementation and benefits of Accessible Media, Universal Design and Assistive Technology in the university, business and public setting. There is a strong focus on campus accommodation, Universal Design and curriculum accessibility. Other topic areas cover legal and policy issues, including ADA and 508 compliance. The creation of accessible media and information resources, including Web pages and library resources are a particular focus of the event.
Sessions in this conference include:
- Preconference lab session: All About Video
- What works with faculty? Results from a yearlong faculty-to-faculty accessible instructional materials workshop
E-Learning Accessibility: What Does an Instructor Need to Know?
- The Challenges of Emerging Technology in Online Education: Tips and Tools for Ensuring Accessibility in the Online Environment
- When the Dept. of Justice/ OCR makes a visit: Campus leaders discuss lessons learned in resolving complaints about inaccessible IT
- Taking on the elephant in the room: Implementing innovative procurement processes in a large University system.
Presentation of this conference on the SU campus is jointly sponsored by the Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services office, the Office of Faculty Development, the Office of Disability Services, the Disability Cultural Center, SU Libraries, and Information Technology Services.
Questions? Send an email to Information Technology Services at accessibleIT@syr.edu and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. Please include your name and phone number in your email.